Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Osaka Kansai International Airport
Osaka Kansai International Airport (KIX)
Kansai International Airport is located on a manmade island in Osaka Bay in the Osaka Prefecture of Japan, and off the shore of Honshu. The airport is a hub for international airlines such as Nippon Airways, Japan Airlines, and the low-cost carrier Peach. It is also considered an international gateway the entire Kansai area, with close proximity to Kobe, Kyoto and Osaka. Kansai has 122 destinations to 30 countries and serves over 16 million travellers each year.
During the 1960s, Kansai was losing valuable trade to nearby Tokyo, so planners proposed a new airport to not only expand freight shipping capabilities but also to relieve overcrowding at Osaka International Airport. Construction started in 1987 on the artificial island, and the airport opened in 1994. Then, in 2007, a second runway was added to help alleviate some of the overflow from freight flights. Today, the $20 Billion Osaka Kansai International airport handles more international than domestic flights, while Osaka International airport is the primary domestic airport in the area.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services -There are several locations for currency exchange and travellers checks. There are six bureaus on the 4th floor (for yen to foreign currency exchange), five on the 1st floor (for foreign currency to yen exchange) and two additional throughout the airport. There is also a Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ on the 2nd floor.
* Luggage Services - There are temporary storage facilities for carry-on baggage at both the North and Southern ends of the 1st and 4th floors. There are also baggage pick-up and delivery services available at these locations; it's a good idea to book at least 3-4 days ahead of time.
* Business Services - The airport has a full business center located on the 4th floor. Amenities include faxes and photocopies, message service, PC usage, meeting room usage and mobile phone rental.
* Internet Services - Wireless access is available free of charge; LAN card required. Alternatively, coin operated @stations on floors 1, 2 and 4 provide internet access for a fee, while e-stands in the international departure gate and transit areas offer free standing Internet access.
* Food Services - There are a variety of restaurants, cafes, bars and coffee shops featuring Japanese, Western Style, Chinese and other cuisines.
* Retail Services - A large duty-free shopping center is available in the international terminal featuring Tiffany & Co., Hermes and Burberry. Other shops include fashion, jewelry, convenience/drug stores, electronics, bookstores and gift/souvenir shops.
* Other Services - Coin operated photo booths are 4th and 2nd floor for quick photos for ID, passports and licenses. A post office is located on the 2nd floor. A prayer room is located on the 4th floor.
Osaka International Airport offers a variety of parking options. Short-term parking and long-term parking are available and ferry shuttle service is also available.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Kansai International Airport is conveniently located near Wakayama, Nara, Osaka, Kobe, Shiga and Kyoto. Attractions include the temples and shrines of the Old Capital in Kyoto, the hot springs in Wakayama and shopping in Osaka. And if you are lucky enough to travel in the spring, the cherry blossoms are a sight to behold.
Address: 1 Senshukukokita Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture
Fax: (0)724 552 058
Number of Terminals: 1
Time Zone: GMT + 9
Location: The airport is located 50km (31 miles) southwest of Osaka
IATA airport code: KIX