Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Malta International Airport
Malta International Airport (MLA)
Voted as the best airport in 2010 for 1 to 5 Million passenger range, the Malta International airport serves as a hub for Air Malta and several international airlines make use of it each year. With over 3.5 million passengers in 2011, the airport is located between Gudja and Luqa which are on the island of Malta. It features two long runways and a recent business center addition that is adjacent to the airport's terminal building.
Established in 1958, Malta International Airport - then known as Passenger Air Terminal at Luqa - consisted of a two floor terminal building that featured basic amenities. It wasn't until 1977, when a noticeable increase in traffic spurned the development of a longer runway that Malta International began to expand. In 1987, the newly appointed government approved construction and what is now known as Malta International Airport became fully operational in 1992.
* Financial Services - Travellers wanting access to money can use one of two banks available in the airport. Bureau de Change is available as well as a post office for those needing currency exchange services.
* Luggage Services - Luggage services can be found in the check in hall, which is located near the Information Center.
* Internet Facilities - Available throughout the airport, travellers can connect to the free WiFi offered by the airport.
* Car Rental Facilities - Among the many car rental companies available: Hertz, Budget, Thrifty and Avis can be found at the car hire desk located in the welcomer's hall.
* Restaurant Facilities - Restaurants are located throughout the airport.
* Shopping services - Shopping can be found throughout the airport at both arrivals and departure gates.
* Business Services - Conference rooms are available for travellers on business and can be found in level 1 at the arrivals and departures area.
* Other Services - A chapel can be found in the airport as well as a telecommunications center.
Parking is available for visitors and 650 spaces are available for long term and short term parking needs. Short term parking is free for the first 10 minutes. Car hire services are also available offsite for travellers who want to save money on parking.
Getting around the island of Malta is easy with rental cars or taxis and buses at the traveller's service. Taxis can be hired at the welcome center of the arrivals terminal.
Setting foot onto the island of Malta, it doesn't take long for the traveller to realize they are in a medieval land that boasts a variety of culture. Among the must-see attractions: St. James Cavalier fortress and the City's Cathedral. Those interested in Armoury should take a look at the Palace of Grand Masters where a display of armour that was used by knights in medieval times.
Travellers who are interested in Malta's cultural history should partake in the Malta Experience, a museum type attraction that explores the culture in depth.
Night life in Malta is not exciting, and most of the island shuts down after dusk.
Malta International Airport Plc,
LQA 05, Malta
Telephone: 2124 9600
Fax: 2124 9563
Number of Terminals: 1
Time Zone: GMT + 1 (GMT + 2 from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 5km (3 miles) southeast of Valletta
IATA airport code: MLA