Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport
Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport (WAW)
Warsaw Chopin Airport is an international airport located in Wlochy region of Warsaw, Poland. The busiest airport in the country, Warsaw Chopin handles almost half of the air traffic with about 300 flights each day and growing. The most popular international connections in the airport include flights to Chicago, Paris, Amsterdam and London, while domestically, Wroclaw, Krakow and Gdansk are very busy.
The land for the airport was purchased in 1924, and ten years later, in 1934, the airport opened with three hangars, exhibition space, parking garages and a main terminal that served over 10,000 customers in its first year. In 1961 expansion efforts and runway renovations began, and in 1969 the new terminal was operational, serving over 1 million customers the following year. Further upgrades were made over the years to accommodate an increased number of travellers, and now there are two intersecting runways (one used for departures and one used for arrivals).
Formerly Warsaw-Okecie Airport, the airport's name comes part from its neighborhood, and part from famous Polish composer Frederic Chopin, who the airport was named after in 2001. Today, Warsaw Chopin airport serves over 9.3 million travellers each year.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - There are plenty of ATMs and over half a dozen Bureaux de Change stations for currency conversion and travellers checks. Hours are Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Luggage Services - There are temporary storage facilities for carry-on baggage available in the arrivals hall 24 hours a day.
* Business Services - There are on-site meeting amenities available, along with four executive lounges, as well as a VIP lounge on the arrivals level.
* Internet Services - Wi-Fi hotspots are available in all areas of Terminal 1
* Food Services - There is a sit-down restaurant and a variety of fast food locations, bars and coffee shops featuring both Polish and international cuisine.
* Retail Services - Gift/souvenir shops are located in the terminal and sell everything from alcohol to jewelry to toys.
* Transportation - The Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport is just 10km southwest of Warsaw in Okecie, and transport is available by bus, taxi, train or rental car. If taking a taxi from the airport, it's best to book in advance. Car rentals are available from Avis, Hertz, Europcar, Budget, National, Payless and Sixt. If taking the train, avoid the lines and look for the "fast ticket" machines.
* Other Services - A post office is located in the terminal. A chapel is located in the transit area.
There are four parking areas at Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport: a multi-story garage for short-term parking (P1 and P2, located next to the terminal building) and two additional areas (P3 and P4 further from the terminal next to the Courtyard Warsaw Airport hotel).
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport is conveniently located in Warsaw, Poland's capital. It is a major tourist destination and has a variety of historical attractions including Warsaw Old Town, which houses Royal Castle, Market Square and the Barbican. There are many palaces, parks and museums in the area that contribute to Warsaw's rich history. Annual events include Wianki (a midsummer night's festival) and The Warsaw Film Festival, which is held in early October.
Polish Airports State Enterprise,
Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport,
Ulica Zwirki i Wigury 1,
00 906 Warszawa,
Number of Terminals: 1
Phone number: 22 650 42 20
Fax: (0)22 650 3981
Time Zone: GMT + 1 (GMT + 2 from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 10km (6 miles) southwest of Warsaw
IATA airport code: WAW