Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Burbank Bob Hope Airport
Burbank Bob Hope Airport (BUR)
Bob Hope Airport is a public and commercial airport located in Burbank, CA, outside of Los Angeles. The airport serves the surrounding cities of Glendale, Pasadena and the San Fernando Valley and is the only airport in L.A. with easy railroad access to the heart of L.A. Bob Hope Airport offers many non-stop domestic flights, including to NYC; the airport currently serves over 2 million travellers each year.
The three-runway airport called Angeles Mesa Drive Airport was established in 1928 under Boeing Aircraft, and since then, it has had many names. It was dedicated as United Airport (the largest commercial airport in L.A.) in 1930 during a festive celebration complete with an airshow.
It was renamed in 1934 as the Union Air Terminal, then again in 1940 as the Lockheed Air Terminal. And in 1967, it was renamed yet again as the Hollywood-Burbank Airport, in hopes that the new glamorous name would attract more travellers. It kept this name for over decade, until Lockheed sold the airport to the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority, the name which the airport adopted. The final name change was in 2003 when it was finally named Bob Hope Airport, in honor of local entertainer and comedian Bob Hope, who lived nearby. Hope had housed his personal plane at the airport until he passed away in 2003. The new name was unveiled on the 100th anniversary of the Wright brothers' first flight, which took place in 1903 (also the year that Hope was born).
The airport celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2005 and is currently planning to build a new high-tech baggage screening facility.
Movie buffs might be interested to know that the airport, just minutes from major Hollywood studios, has been used as a filming location for films starring Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean (Giant), Harrison Ford and Sean Connery (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services -Several ATMs are located throughout the terminal.
* Business Services - The airport offers meeting rooms, a business lounge and business center.
* Internet Services - Wi-Fi access is provided for free throughout the terminal. ATT and Verizon customers also have secure access.
* Food Services - There are multiple food and beverage options available. Bob Hope Airport is known for being quick and convenient, so there quick dining choices, as well as a sit down restaurant and bar for longer wait times.
* Retail Services - There are several shops in the airport that sell souvenirs, books and snacks.
* Transportation - After exiting the terminal, there are rental car counters in the Terminal B baggage claim. Cabs and a free shuttle service are also available, with transport to the bob Hope Airport Train Station, where the Amtrak and Metrolink trains make regular stops.
* Other - Mail services and a pet relief area are located outside.
There are many parking options available at Bob Hope airport, and everything is located within close proximity to the main terminal. Economy parking with free shuttle service is available for travellers on a budget. Short term parking and long term parking are also offered. Many travellers enjoy the convenience of the valet parking option, when time is tight.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Burbank is right in the heart of the movie studio scene, so there's plenty to see and do nearby. Universal Studios, the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Mann's Chinese Theater are all minutes away. Other local area attractions include plenty of beaches, amusement parks (Knott's Berry Farm, Disneyland, Magic Mountain) and world-class shopping (Rodeo Drive).
IATA Airport Code: BUR
Bob Hope Airport,
2627 Hollywood Way,
Number of Terminals: 2
Telephone: (818) 840 8840
Fax: (818) 848 1173
Time Zone: GMT - 9 (GMT - 8 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 5km (3 miles) northwest of Burbank and 20km (12 miles) north of Los Angeles
Airport code: BUR