Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport
Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
The Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport serves 23 million passengers annually and is the 21st busiest airport in the U.S. in terms of total passenger traffic. In addition to handling over 600 flights daily, the airport also serves the general aviation needs of South Florida. The airport is served by 30 airlines, offering non-stop flights to 60 domestic cities and 36 international destinations including the Caribbean, Latin America and Europe.
The airport opened on May 1, 1929 as Merle Fogg Field, named after the city's first aviator. In 1942, the airfield was used by the US Navy and was then known as the Fort Lauderdale Naval Air Station. The facility was decommissioned in 1946 and Broward County took control of it in 1948. Scheduled international service began in 1953.
A new air terminal was completed in 1959 and, within a year, passenger traffic exceeded 1 million. The airport complex was rebuilt in the early 80s. During the 90s, the airport added several airlines. When year 2001 ended, the airport had served 15 million passengers. The airport currently has a major renovations program underway to expand Terminal 4 and the South Runway.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - All terminals have a Business Service Center where ATMs are available. The ones at Terminals 2 and 4 have Currency Exchange services. A 24-hour ATM is available on the 2nd Level of the Car Rental Center.
* Internet Services - The airport provides free wireless internet access in all of its terminals and concourses as well in the Car Rental Center. There are pay internet kiosks available too in the Business Service Center.
* Food Services - There are many food and beverage concessions inside the airport, most of which are located beyond the security checkpoint but there are a few before security. Eateries offer sandwiches, bakery items, salads, pizza, pasta, burgers, coffee and desserts.
* Retail Services - In addition to news/magazine kiosks, the airport also has retails stores where travellers can shop for apparel, toys, local items, fashion accessories and electronic devices.
* Transportation - A variety of options are available for ground transportation, including rental cars, taxi cabs, shared rides, hotel shuttles and buses or trains. There are Transportation Podiums outside of the terminals where travellers can make arrangements for cabs or shared rides.
* Other - The airport has ADA services to meet the needs of travellers with disabilities. It also has public baggage storage, mail drop-off boxes and pet relief areas.
The airport offers daily and hourly self-parking options at its multi-level garage, which has 12,000 spaces. For long-term parking, the airport has an Economy Parking garage situated near the airport with free shuttle service available to/from the terminals. Valet Parking is also available as well as parking for people with special needs. All parking facilities offer complimentary services such as location of vehicles and tire inflation.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
For shopping, dining and entertainment near the airport, there's Riverfront and Las Olas Boulevard in the middle of Fort Lauderdale Downtown where visitors can find boutiques, restaurants, art galleries, an IMAX cinema and shops. Other attractions nearby include the Topeekeegee Yugnee Park and Hollywood Beach Broadwalk.
Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport,
100 Terminal Drive,
Number of Terminals: 4
Telephone: (866) 435-9355 or 954 359 1200
Fax: 954 359 0027
Time Zone: GMT - 5 (GMT - 4 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 5km (3 miles) south of Fort Lauderdale
IATA Airport Code: FLL