Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Jacksonville International Airport
Jacksonville International Airport (JAX)
Jacksonville International Airport is owned and managed by the Jacksonville Aviation Authority. In 2011, the airport saw 5.5 million passengers pass through its gates. In recent months, it has been serving an average of no less than 400,000 passengers every month. The airport is currently served by 8 carriers offering non-stop flights to a total of 24 US cities.
The Jacksonville International Airport replaced the city's existing airport, Imeson Field, in 1968 when the latter no longer could be expanded because of its surrounding terrain. Jacksonville needed a bigger facility that could accommodate longer runways for jet airliners. At the start, the airport was receiving low passenger traffic but this changed starting in the late 1980s when more airline service was added. By 1999, the airport was serving more than 5 million passengers and an expansion project was approved in 2000 which was completed in 2004 to 2005.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - There is an ATM in the Mezzanine Area past the Security Checkpoint and in the Baggage Claim area.
* Internet Services - The airport offers free wireless internet access.
* Food Services - There are several places to eat before or after the Security Checkpoints from fast food chains like Burger King and Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs to full service restaurants like Sam Snead's and Chili's Too.
* Retail Services - Travellers can get reading materials from news/gift shops and bookstores located on Concourse A and post-security. Accessories, apparel and gift items are sold at some of the other shops. InMotion Pictures, which offers DVD movie and player rental, is located after security.
* Transportation - For ground transportation, options include rental cars, taxi cabs and limousine services which can all be found on the lower level of the terminal next to the Baggage Claim area. There's also daily scheduled bus service run by AirJTA that brings passengers from downtown to the Airport and vice versa.
* Hotel - There are 2 hotels located inside the airport's property for very convenient accommodation - Clarion Hotel Airport Conference Center and Microtel Inn and Suites.
* Other - There are about a dozen passenger services/amenities available at the terminal including 24-Hour flowers, a pet resort, shoe shine stands, spas, baggage cart rental and an art gallery. A USO Lounge is located is located at the lower level of the terminal, behind the Information Booth.
The airport has 1 valet parking, 1 hourly parking, 2 daily parking and 2 economy parking areas available, all with convenient access to the terminals. A third economy parking lot is made available during peak season.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
The airport has a central location in the city, offering easy access to all many popular attractions including the Jax Zoo, The Museum of Science and Technology and the Anheuser Busch Brewery.
Jacksonville Beach is also not far away and has golf courses, a fishing pier, themed park and favorite local restaurants like Angie's Subs.
Address: 2400 Yankee Clipper Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32218
Phone number: (904) 741-4902
Fax: 904 741 2011
Number of Terminals: 1
Time Zone: GMT - 5 (GMT - 4 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is situated 24km (15 miles) north of Jacksonville
IATA Airport code: JAX