Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Los Angeles International Airport
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Los Angeles International Airport is the primary airport in Los Angeles, the 2nd busiest airport in the U.S. and the 6th busiest airport in the world. LAX is located just 16 miles from downtown L.A. and handles passenger as well as cargo traffic, because of its close proximity to the Port of Los Angeles. It is the airport that is the gateway to the Western U.S.
Los Angeles International Airport serves over 60 million travellers each year, and is a major hub for American Airlines, Alaska Airlines and United Airlines; it is also an international gateway for Delta Air Lines.
In 1928, the space for the airport was selected and named Mines Field after the real estate agent who completed the transaction. Fields of barley, wheat and lima beans were converted to landing strips. In 1929, the first hanger was completed and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1941, the name was officially changed to Los Angeles Airport, and was changed again in 1949 to Los Angeles International Airport. Many of the flights that formerly were using Burbank's Bob Hope Airport switched to Los Angeles Airport. In 1957 LAX started the first direct flights to Europe.
In 1981, a $700 million expansion was started, in preparation for the '84 Olympics. The expansion included new terminals, ticketing areas and parking facilities. In 1984 the Bradley International Terminal was opened and in 1996 a new air traffic control tower was built.
In 2000, before the Democratic National Convention, the airport received a facelift with the installation of 10-story tall pylons and 30-foot tall illuminated LAX letters at the entrance. The letters serve as a landmark, and are often customized for certain events, such as the holidays.
In 2005, passenger usage hit 75 million travellers a year and in 2006, another renovation began to improve in-airport transportation. And in 2007, a $1.2 billion renovation was approved to build a new 10-gate terminal and people mover.
Today, LAX is in the middle of another multi-billion dollar renovation on the Tom Bradley terminal.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - There are ATMs located throughout the airport, a Bank of America branch is located nearby, and currency exchange is available at several booths.
* Internet Services - Wi-Fi is available throughout LAX through several T-Mobile hot spot locations for a fee. Complimentary Wi-Fi is provided in some first class and business lounges.
* Business Services - Los Angeles International Airport has lounges, Internet stations, scanner, fax and copy services. Private rooms can be booked for meetings. Cell phone rentals are also available.
* Food Services - There are a plethora of food and beverage options available including fast casual dining options, sit down restaurants, microbreweries and bars, coffee shops and cafes.
* Retail Services - There are many shops in the airport that sell souvenirs, books, snacks and sundries. There is also a duty-free shopping area.
* Transportation - Free in-airport shuttle service is provided between terminals for passengers making connecting flights. There are a variety of transportation options available including: bus service, door-to-door shuttles, rental cars, and taxis.
* Other - There are 5 pet relief areas located outside the terminals.
There are a variety of parking options available both on-site and off-site. There are over 20,000 parking spaces at the airport, over half of which are economy long-term spots. Valet parking is available.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Los Angeles International Airport is centrally located in the heart of Los Angeles. Nearby attractions include Hollywood movie studios, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, beautiful beaches, world-class shopping and award winning theater and museums.
Los Angeles International Airport,
30 World Way,
Number of Terminals: 9 (including the Tom Bradley International Terminal)
Telephone: 310 646 5252 (24-hour recorded information)
Fax: 310 646 1893
Time Zone: GMT - 8 (GMT - 7 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 24km (15 miles) southwest of Los Angeles
IATA Airport code: LAX