Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Miami International Airport
Miami International Airport (MIA)
The Miami International Airport, operated by the Miami-Dade Aviation Department, is the largest gateway in the United States to the Latin American and Caribbean regions. It is the 2nd busiest airport in the US in terms of international passenger traffic.
In 2011, it served 38.3 million passengers including 18.4 million international passengers. There are 36 domestic airlines and 54 international airlines serving the airport, connecting over 700,000 passengers weekly to 45 US cities and 83 overseas destinations.
The Miami International Airport was originally built by Pan American Airways in 1928 and was then called Pan Am Field. The City of Miami's Port Authority bought the airport in 1945 and changed its name to Miami International Airport in 1948. By 1950, it was handling 1.4 million passengers.
Throughout the decades that followed, the airport grew in size and operations. In the 1980s, the airport launched a major program to upgrade its aging terminal. The improvement projects continued in the 1990s and into the 21st century. The terminal is currently undergoing expansion to be completed in 2013.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - A full service branch of Bank of America operates in the airport and is located on North Terminal D on the 4th level. The airport has ATMs and 9 foreign currency exchange booths located throughout the complex.
* Internet Services - Wi-Fi access is available throughout the airport's indoor public areas for a fee. Passengers are provided complimentary Wi-Fi access to a few travel-related websites. The airport has a Business Center and public workstations that provide internet access.
* Food Services - The airport has plenty of food and beverage offerings to travellers. Terminal D alone has over 30 establishments, including really good eateries such as Sushi Maki, Beaudevin and Cafe Versailles.
* Retail Services - In addition to several duty free shops and newsstands located in all terminals, numerous retail stores selling a variety of products from souvenirs to skincare dot the entire airport to meet the shopping needs of all travellers or keep them entertained while waiting for their flight.
* Transportation - Airport passengers will find full options for ground transport from car rentals to taxis, hotel shuttles and bus service. The airport is also connected to Miami's Metrorail station.
* Hotel - The Miami International Airport Hotel is located on the 2nd level of Central Terminal E. It has over 200 soundproof luxury rooms and a fine dining restaurant.
* Other - The airport has various amenities including moving walkways, wheelchair service, self-service luggage carts, spa services, language assistance and animal relief areas. There are also VIP clubs/lounges, a Military Hospitality Lounge near Central Terminal E and a non-denominational chapel at North Terminal D.
The airport offers several parking options. The most convenient option is Valet Parking which is closest to the airport. Garage Parking is available in all terminals and can be accessed on both arrival and departure levels. The off-site Economy Parking has limited spaces and is on a first-come, first-served basis. All terminals have Disabled Parking spaces.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Soak up the sun on the famous South Beach and explore cool places like Miami Design District and Art Deco District. Miami is also known for its nightlife with numerous venues from South Beach to Downtown to suit every taste. From shopping and spas to outdoor fun and family-oriented activities, visitors will find much to enjoy in this tropical beach city.
Address: 2100 NW 42nd Avenue FL 33142
Number of Terminals: 2
Telephone: 305 876 7000
Fax: 305 876 7398
Time Zone: GMT - 5 (GMT - 4 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 14km (9 miles) northwest of Miami
IATA Airport Code: MIA