Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport
Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport (MKE)
General Mitchell International Airport is the principal airport of Milwaukee. It is a civil and military airport owned by Milwaukee County and is named after General William Mitchell who is widely regarded as the father of the US Air Force. The airport accommodates over 12,000 passengers on an average day. It served 9.5 million passengers in 2011.
The airport was originally the Milwaukee County Airport, which came into being in October of 1926 when the County bought the Hamilton Airport located south of the city. In 1940, a passenger terminal was built and, a year later, it was given the name General Mitchell Field. The field was leased to the military during World War II and was used as a camp for prisoners of war. The present terminal was opened on July of 1955 and underwent significant renovations in 1985. The airport was finally renamed to General Mitchell International Airport on June 19th, 1986.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - There are 2 ATMs inside the terminal. The M&I bank also has a branch at the airport near Concourse C.
* Internet Services - WiFi access in the airport is provided by Boingo. Checking flight information online is free of charge, otherwise, users have to pay for 1-hour, 24-hour or unlimited access to Boingo WiFi.
* Food Services -Guests can grab a coffee and a quick sandwich at the Main Terminal with food choices such as Alterra Coffee, Starbucks and Quiznos Sub. The Concourses house more eateries. For a taste of the famous sausages of Wisconsin, go to Usinger's on Concourse D. The restaurant and full bar Cooler By The Lake is located on Concourse E.
* Retail Services - There are a few retail shops in the airport such as PGA Tour Shop, Brooks Brothers and Milwaukee Marketplace. There are news and gift shops on all Concourses.
* Transportation - There are 7 major rental car agencies operating at the airport. Hotel courtesy vans are also available as well as taxi, bus and coach services.
* Other - The airport features 3 conference rooms, a banquet room and postal services. The Mitchell Gallery of Flight Aviation History Museum is located inside the airport.
There are daily and hourly parking sections in the airport's parking garage, which is connected by skywalks to the terminal. Also within walking distance to the airport is the Surface Lot and a few minutes away is the SuperSaver Lot, which is served by free 24-hour shuttle service every 10 minutes. There are designated areas in all garages for disabled parking.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
The airport is only 6 miles from downtown Milwaukee and minutes away from several places of interest and recreation including the Harley-Davidson Museum and Potawatomi Bingo Casino. Go Sea Dog Sailing and take in Lake Michigan's beautiful shoreline or explore other top attractions such as the Miller Brewery, Discovery World, Jelly Belly Visitor Center and the outdoor living history museum Old World Wisconsin, the largest of its kind in the Midwest.
Address: 5300 South Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207
Number of Terminals: 1
Telephone: (414) 747 5300
Fax: (414) 747 4525
Time Zone: GMT - 6 (GMT - 5 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 8km (5 miles) south of Milwaukee
IATA Airport code: MKE