Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is considered the primary airport in Arizona, as well as one of the busiest airports in the U.S. Referred to as "America's Friendliest Airport" the facility is rapidly expanding to meet the increasing air traffic needs of its customers.
Sky Harbor Airport is located 3 miles east of downtown Phoenix, in Maricopa County. Each day, the airport serves over 100,000 passengers and routes over 1,500 flights. That totals a staggering 40 million passengers each year.
Sky Harbor airport was built in 1928 with just one runway, and was Arizona's fourth airport. The first terminal and control tower were built in 1952 (it was later torn down in 1991 and replaced by a cell phone waiting lot). In 1959, the master plan was re-designed to account for two new terminals. In 1982, Southwest started operating at PHX as a major hub. In 1989 work on a fourth terminal began.
One of the most interesting things about the airport is that it's one of the few in the world to have all runways running parallel. In 2010, the airport celebrated its 75th anniversary and today the airport not only serves 40 million domestic passengers, it also serves as a service center for many commercial flight companies.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - ATMs are located throughout the airport.
* Business Services - The airport offers meeting rooms, a business center and a business lounge.
* Internet Services - Free Wi-Fi is provided in all terminals on both sides of security, in most retail and restaurant areas and near the gates.
* Food Services - Food and beverages are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, both before and after security checkpoints in all 3 terminals. Menu options include a range of cuisine, from sports bars and pizzerias to bakeries, coffee shops, fast food and cafes.
* Retail Services - There are many shops in the airport that sell souvenirs, books and snacks. There are also several PGA Tour Shops, as well as jewelry boutique and Native American gifts.
* Transportation - Frequent, free airports shuttles run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week between the economy parking areas and terminals. The Light Rail, buses, taxis and limos are also available.
* Other - Sky Harbor airport provides pet parks at each of the three terminals. Children play areas are also provided. Mailboxes are located on curbs outside the terminals. There is a Veterans and Military hospitality room, and several museum exhibits on site. Shoe shine service is available.
Parking options at Phoenix Sky Harbor include short term economy garages both on and off-site. A cell phone waiting lot is also available.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Phoenix is a beautiful area with many outdoor attractions and activities. For the water enthusiast, boating, fishing and tubing are all popular during the summer months. The Sonorean desert offers many mountains and lakes and is ideal for hikers and mountain bikers. The golf courses in Phoenix and Scottsdale are some of the best in the country for avid players, while casinos and gaming offer a different kind of excitement.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport,
3400 East Sky Harbor Boulevard,
Number of Terminals: 3
Telephone: 602 273 3300
Fax: 602 273 2100
E-mail: Via the airport's website
Time Zone: GMT - 7 (GMT - 6 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located in the centre of Phoenix
IATA Airport code: PHX