Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Sacramento International Airport
Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
Sacramento International Airport is a public airport located in California's state capital of Sacramento, in Northern California. The airport is 10 miles NW of downtown Sacramento and is run by Sacramento County.
The airport has 12 major carriers, with Southwest serving close to half of passengers.
The Sacramento International Airport opened in 1967, as the Sacramento Metropolitan Airport. It was the first public airport (west of the Mississippi) to be built from scratch. Though it was originally estimated that the airport would serve 750,000 passengers, it actually served over 1 million in its first year of operation with five major airlines.
In the 1980s, there was a lot of construction and growth at the airport, including an in-flight catering facility, FAA Flight Inspection Field Office, additional cargo facility (1985) and a new runway.
The 90s ushered in a new terminal and rental car terminal (the first in the nation), as well as a new name for the airport - The Sacramento International Airport. The airport experienced rapid growth during this time - adding several major carriers and launching a website in 1997.
A new parking garage was opened in 2004, and in 2006, Sacramento International Airport became one of the first airports in the U.S. to offer free Wi-Fi to its travellers.
2008 marked the kick-off of "The Big Build", a $1B billion terminal upgrade project that would triple the current size. In 2011, the County Airport System the new terminal opened with an exclusive "Experience B party" that was attended by over 1400 guests.
Today, the airport looks to a new 20-year master plan process that will continue to improve facilities and provide travellers with amenities that will make their experience at SMF an enjoyable one.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - The airport does not have currency exchange available; the closest service provider is Westamerica Bank.
* Internet Services - Complimentary Wi-Fi is provided in Sacramento International Airport, in terminals 2 and 4, as well as the ground transportation area. The official network name is FlySacramento.
* Food Services - There are a variety of food and beverage options available including fast casual dining options, sit down restaurants, bars, coffee shops, delis and cafes. There is also a wine store with a tasting lounge.
* Retail Services - There are a handful of shops in the airport that sell souvenirs, books, snacks and sundries. There is also a Brooks Brothers store and a PGA Tour Shop.
* Transportation - The airport provides a free shuttle between terminals, to/from the rental car area, the economy lot, the daily parking overflow lot. The shuttle operates 24 hours a day.
* Other - The airport has shone shine service available in Terminal A. Massage services are available in Terminals A and B. There is a pet relief area located at each terminal.
There are a variety of parking options available at Sacramento International Airport. Short term and long terms lots are available, as well as a cell phone waiting area. The short term hourly lots are conveniently located near Terminals A and B.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Located at the gateway to Northern California, the Sacramento International Airport is deep in the heart of wine country, close to Yosemite National Park and nearby majestic Lake Tahoe. The nation's capital offers plenty of outdoor activities for the outdoor enthusiast and adventurer, and provides a glimpse into the state's notable history in historic Old Town.
Sacramento International Airport,
6900 Airport Boulevard,
California 95837, USA
Number of Terminals: 3
Telephone: 916 929 5411
Fax: 916 874 0636
Time Zone: GMT - 8 (GMT - 7 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 19km (12 miles) north of Sacramento
IATA Airport Code: SMF