Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Tampa International Airport
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Tampa International Airport primarily serves the Tampa Bay area and ranks as the 30th busiest airport in North America. In 2011, it served 16.7 million passengers. An average day brings 45,800 passengers through its gates. Currently, there are 15 major airlines serving the airport nonstop and connecting service to over 70 domestic and international destinations.
Tampa International Airport was initially the Drew Field Municipal Airport, which opened in 1928. It was a general aviation facility that was turned into an extensive military air base by the federal government during the war years in the early 1940s. In 1946, after World War II, Drew Field had greatly expanded in size and so airline operations were transferred to it from the existing airport. It then became the city's primary airport. In 1952, it was renamed to Tampa International Airport. A new terminal complex was opened in 1971. The airport continued throughout the decades to grow its operations as well as expand and modernize its facilities. It has been recognized several times for excellent airport efficiency and high passenger satisfaction.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - Travelex Currency Exchange and ATMs are located within the Tampa Bay Galleria on the Transfer Level of the airport. There's also an ATM and a branch of SunTrust Bank located at the Marriott Shopping Arcade, which is connected to the Landside Building- Transfer Level.
* Internet Services - Free wireless internet access is available throughout the Landside and all Airside buildings.
* Food Services - There is a good selection of dining options at the airport to choose from, including Carrabba's Italian Grill, Chili's Too, Quiznos Sub and Starbucks. Passengers will also appreciate the concessions located outside of security if they want to spend time with family or friends before they leave.
* Retail Services - Aside from the airport hotel's Shopping Arcade and the numerous shops at the Landside Building, there are also quality shops and newsstands at every Airside section including a Duty Free Shop in Airside F, Kiehl's in Airside C and Tech in a Sec in Airside A.
* Transportation - The Baggage Claim Level offers a one-stop shop for passengers' ground transportation needs. This is where all transport services are located including taxi cabs, limos, buses, hotel shuttles, counters for on-airport rental cars and courtesy phones to hotels.
* Hotel - The Marriott Hotel is connected to the airport and has newly-renovated guest rooms.
* Other - There are children's play areas for ticketed passengers located at Airsides A,C and E. The airport has a Public Art Program which features local art on display throughout all levels of the terminal. Other amenities/facilities include mail drops, a hair salon and shoe shine, a first aid room, observation decks and an interfaith chapel.
The airport has several parking facilities for Valet Parking, Short- and Long-Term Parking as well as Economy Parking. The first hour is free when parking at the Short-Term and Long-Term Parking Garages. All levels of all Garages have designated spaces for Disabled Parking. Drivers who need to wait for their party to arrive can wait at the free cell phone waiting lot.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
The airport offers excellent access to Tampa's wonderful attractions and family destinations including Busch Gardens Theme Park and the Florida Aquarium. Go on historic river cruises or, for an unforgettable adventure, ride a hot air balloon over the Florida coastline.
Address: 4100 George J Bean Parkway, Tampa, FL 33607
Number of Terminals: 1
Telephone: 813 870 8700
Fax: 813 875 6670
Time Zone: GMT - 5 (GMT - 4 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 8km (5 miles) west of Tampa
IATA Airport code: TPA