Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Washington Dulles International Airport
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Washington Dulles International Airport covers approximately 12,000 acres of land located some 26 miles from Washington City's downtown. The airport has 4 runways and a main terminal with 127 airline gates and 5 concourses. Since 2004, the airport has served no less than 22 million passengers. It accommodates non-stop flights to 83 local destinations served by 9 domestic carriers while 22 international airlines operate non-stop flights to 49 international destinations including Beijing, Sao Paulo and Dubai.
Washington International Airport was constructed in 1958 with the Main Terminal completed in 1962. On the same year, the airport began operations as Dulles International Airport, named after John Foster Dulles who was President Eisenhower's Secretary of State. By 1966, the airport was handling over 1 million passengers.
The first expansion project at the airport was finished in November 1977. In the 1980s, a new baggage area, temporary concourse and parking lots were added. The airport officially changed its name to Washington Dulles International Airport in 1984. The airport started getting over 10 million passengers by 1986.
In 1991, the airport opened the International Arrivals Building. It reached the 20 million passenger mark in the year 2000, requiring more space and additional facilities. In 2011, the airport completed a major expansion of the International Arrivals Building.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - Automated Teller Machines can be found in the Main Terminal and in all Concourses. Foreign Currency Exchange service is provided by Travelex which has counters in the Upper Level of the Main Terminal and in Concourse B, C and D.
* Internet Services - The entire airport is a WiFi Zone. Guests can enjoy the complimentary wireless internet access by accepting the terms of the service after selecting the airport's network on their WiFi ready gadgets.
* Food Services - There are various places to have a meal or snack in this airport. Some fine sit-down pubs and restaurants to try are Gordon Biersch, Max & Erma's and Cosi. Other top-notch eateries located throughout the airport include Chipotle, Five Guys and Dulles Gourmet Market.
* Retail Services - Bookstores and newsstands are located throughout the airport as well as retail stores like Brooks Brothers, Airport Wireless and InMotion Entertainment. For tax free shopping, there are several Duty Free shops in the airport.
* Transportation -Exclusive transportation services to and from the Washington Dulles International Airport are provided by the Washington Flyer Taxi, Washington Flyer Coach and Washington Flyer Super Shuttle. Other options include rental cars, the Metrorail and Metrobus.
* Other - The airport has a USO Lounge, interfaith chapel, skycap service and specially designated relief areas for service animals.
The airport has more than 24,000parking spaces open to the public. The Valet and Hourly Parking Garages are next to the Main Terminal while guests can use the free shuttle service to reach the Economy and Daily Parking lots.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Travelers visiting Washington, DC will have no problem filling their itinerary with lots of activities from tours to the White House, Smithsonian Institute and Pentagon to visits to historic and scenic spots such as the Great Falls Park, Harpers Ferry, Frederick Douglass National Historic Site and Mount Vernon. For kids of all ages, other interesting places to go to are the National Zoo and the National Air and Space Museum.
Washington Dulles International Airport,
Address: 1 Saarinen Circle, Dulles, VA 20166
Phone number: (703) 572-2700
Fax: 703 572 6817
Number of Terminals: 1 (and 4 concourses)
Time Zone: GMT - 5 (GMT - 4 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 42km (26 miles) west of Washington
IATA Airport Code: IAD