Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Austin Bergstrom International Airport
Austin Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
Austin Bergstrom International Airport is served by 9 commercial airlines with nonstop service to 37 destinations. In 2011, it received about 9 million passengers and handled 268 daily commercial flights. The airport is a multi-purpose facility used for general and commercial aviation and by the State Aircraft Pooling Board and the Texas Army National Guard. It has 2 runways, 25 gates and 1 main terminal, named after US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan.
The airport's location is previously the Bergstrom Air Force Base which was decommissioned in 1990. Even before this time, Austin City was already experiencing rapid growth and evidently needed a larger airport than the existing municipal airport. Bergstrom's closure presented the perfect opportunity for the construction of a new airport on the site, which was close to the Capitol and large enough to meet demand.
The plan for the new airport was approved in 1993 and construction started in 1995. Cargo operations began at the airport in 1997, followed by passenger operations in 1999 with the opening of the Barbara Jordan Terminal. Ten years later, in 2009, the passenger traffic at the airport surpassed the 9 million mark.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - Full banking services are provided by United Heritage Credit Union, located on the second floor between the ticketing lobbies. There are 4 Automated Teller Machines in the terminal.
* Internet Services - Boingo Wireless provides Wi-Fi access throughout the terminal. Travelers must have an account with Boingo or its partners to access the network. Those without a Boingo account can purchase a 24-hour pass. There are 4 free internet kiosks stationed at Gates 5, 8, 12 and 15.
* Food Services - For a small airport, there's no shortage of restaurants here. Travelers can enjoy specialty coffee and a sandwich at Fara Cafe or Soco Market at the Ticket Lobby area or have a bite at one of the many eateries elsewhere in the terminal such as Saxon Pub & Grub, Maudies Tex-Mex and Lefty's Bar and Grille.
* Retail Services - The airport has a few shops and news stands to meet essential shopping needs of travelers whether they're looking for something to read or would need to buy dry goods, unique souvenirs, gifts and accessories.
* Transportation - Several vehicles for hire are available at the airport including SuperShuttle, limousine services, well-known rental car companies, taxis and charter services.
* Other - Airport facilities meet ADA requirements. Other amenities include flower shops, a shoe shine stand and massage salon. The airport also features art exhibits and live music performances inside the terminal. For animal/pet relief, the airport has a landscaped dog walk located outside the lower level of the terminal.
The airport offers on-site parking directly opposite the terminal, with over 10,000 spaces. Economy parking lots are also available. Free parking services are available to those using the On-Airport parking such as help with locating or jumpstarting.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
Various attractions await visitors to Austin including historic buildings, museums, parks and theaters. In downtown, head to the famous Sixth Street and experience the city's awesome nightlife. Explore Austin's great outdoors - go kayaking along Lady Bird Lake or try zip-lining through the treetops of Cypress Valley. If you're in Austin anytime during the middle of March to November, don't forget to catch a sight of the massive bat colony as they come out every night underneath Congress Avenue.
Address: 3600 Presidential Boulevard, Austin, TX 78719
Phone number: (512) 530-2242
Fax: 512 530 6653
Number of Terminals: 1
Time Zone: GMT - 6 (GMT - 5 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 13km (8 miles) southeast of Austin
IATA airport code: AUS