Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
Bradley International Airport
Bradley International Airport - Hartford (BDL)
Bradley International Airport has a convenient location just a few minutes outside of Hartford. Because it is located inland, the airport is often not affected by inclement weather. With 15 airlines serving it, Bradley International Airport handles anywhere from 300 to 400 flight operations daily. It sees about 19,000 passengers pass through its doors every day.
Bradley International Airport is operated by the State of Connecticut and the Connecticut Department of Transportation. It is New England's second-largest airport and the largest commercial airport in Connecticut, generating economic activity worth $4 billion annually for the state.
Bradley International Airport has military beginnings which started in 1941 when the US was preparing for the Second World War. The site was originally a US military air base and was mainly used for air combat training. It was then called Bradley Field after Lt. Eugene Bradley who died on the site in a routine training accident. After the field's deactivation in 1945, the ownership was returned back to the state of Connecticut.
In 1947, Bradley Field became Bradley International Airport and began commercial operations. In 1952, the Murphy Terminal, also known as Terminal B, was opened. It is often cited as the oldest terminal in any US major airport when it was closed in 2010. Over the decades, the airport saw continued expansion in its facilities. Recent plans include adding a 19-gate terminal and a parking garage.
Services and Amenities
* Financial Services - There are ATMs available inside the airport's two terminals.
* Internet Services - The airport offers free WiFi service.
* Food Services - There are several dining options available within the airport terminals and concourse areas including a food court, restaurants, a pizza place and coffee shops. US Airways Club members can enjoy refreshments in the club's executive lounge located across boarding gate A-6.
* Retail Services - There are many shops located throughout the terminals such as Brooks Brothers, Paradies Shops and News and Gifts Kiosk.
* Transportation - The airport is very accessible with taxis, 8 rental car agencies and more than a dozen limousine services providing transport services to passengers. Local bus service also operates daily between the airport and Hartford.
* Hotel - The Sheraton Hartford Hotel is located inside the airport between the two terminals.
* Other - Passengers can contact skycap stations located on the terminal's upper level to assist them with their baggage or for wheelchairs. The New England Air Museum is located at the airport.
Short-term parking is available and is within a brief walking distance to the Airport. Regular, free shuttle services connect guests to thousands of long-term parking spaces. Sheltered parking is available at the airport's new parking garage that can accommodate up to 3,500 vehicles. Guests can also enjoy reserved premium parking and, with an online coupon, a day of free parking.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
With its central location, the airport affords visitors plenty of attractions within short driving distance such as the Mark Twain House, Basketball Hall of Fame, Connecticut Statehouse and the Foxwoods Resorts Casino. There are 2 golf courses close to the airport as well as shopping areas and museums all within 20 miles of the airport. For those looking for nearby accommodations, major hotels are located close the airport.
Address: Schoephoester Road, Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Telephone: (860) 292 2000 or 888 625 1533
Fax: (860) 627 3594
Number of Terminals: 2
Time Zone: GMT - 5 (GMT - 4 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 20km (12 miles) north of Hartford, Connecticut and 20km (12 miles) south of Springfield, Massachusetts
IATA airport code: BDL