Cheap Flights, Discount Airline Tickets, Last Minute Airfares & Cheapest Airfares
San Diego International Airport
San Diego International Airport (SAN)
San Diego International Airport (aka Lindbergh Field) is a public airport just a few miles outside downtown San Diego, and 15 miles from Mexico. The airport is the second busiest single-runway commercial airport in the world and carries nearly 50,000 passengers a day for a total of over 16 million passengers a year. The airport is a focus city for both Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines. It is operated by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority.
The San Diego International Airport was inspired by Charles Lindbergh's historic flight, and in 1926, the city approved the build of a 2-runway city municipal airport. Once complete in 1928, the airport was named San Diego Municipal Airport - Lindbergh Field. In fact, Lindbergh's aircraft was designed and built in San Diego, the same city that he left from to begin his journey on the first solo transatlantic flight.
The airport was the first airfield to receive federal certification to serve all aircraft, including seaplanes, and in 1934, it became an international airport. In 1942, the airport played an important role in the war, handling heavy bomber planed that were manufactured nearby, and 1960 marked the airport's first jet service.
A second terminal was opened in 1979 and a third in 1996. The second terminal was later expanded by 300,000 square feet in 1998. The airport became San Diego International Airport in the nineties and remains so today, though many locals still call it by its original name.
Services and Amenities
* Baggage - Baggage cart rentals are available in the parking lots, terminals and baggage claim areas for a $3 fee payable via cash, credit or debit card.
* Financial Services - The airport has 9 ATMs located throughout the terminals. There is a Travelex currency exchange desk in Terminal 1, and a currency exchange cart in Terminal 2.
* Internet Services - Complimentary Wi-Fi is provided throughout San Diego International Airport.
* Food Services - There are a variety of food and beverage options available including fast casual dining options, sit down restaurants, coffee shops, delis, cafes and bars. There's even an NFL Bar so sports fans can catch their favorite game on-the-go.
* Retail Services - There are a handful of shops in the airport that sell souvenirs, books, snacks and sundries. Travelers can enjoy big-brand national stores, as well as local San-Diego favorites.
Transportation - The airport provides alternative-fuel shuttles, as well as a free airport loop shuttle that runs 24/7 between terminals. Car rentals, taxi cab services and public transportation by way of Amtrak, Metro Bus and trolley are also available.
* Other - The airport has one of the largest USO centers in the nation which provides military and their families a 5,400-square-foot facility with children's play room, internet lounge, conference facilities, game room, leather recliners and LFDs, luggage storage and bathrooms with showers.
There are a variety of parking options available at San Diego International Airport. Short term and long terms lots are available, as well as a cell phone waiting area. Valet parking is offered at Terminals 1 and 2, with text-to-pick-up service offered.
Surrounding Areas and Attractions
San Diego is the second largest city in California and is considered the birthplace of the state. The city is known for its rich history, beautiful beaches and mild climate year-round. There are plenty of things to see and do in San Diego. Beach-goers will appreciate tide pools in La Jolla or the historic Coronado Hotel, while families can enjoy Griffith Park, the Zoo, Sea World or one of the many museums the city has to offer. San Diego's downtown offers a lively nightlife and quick access to Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres. Hop on a trolley ride or a bike taxi to see even more of the city.
San Diego County Regional Airport Authority
Third Floor, Commuter Terminal
3225 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, California 92101
Number of Terminals: 3
Telephone: (619) 400-2404
Fax: 619 686 8165
E-mail: Via the airport's website
Time Zone: GMT - 8 (GMT - 7 from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October)
Location: The airport is located 3km (2 miles) northwest of San Diego
Airport IATA code: SAN